THE AUSTRALIAN Shepherd Ch Allmark Indecent Proposal (Sunny) has died after allegedly being poisoned at National Working and Pastoral Breeds Society ch show.
His kennelmate also became ill afterwards and although she is improving is still unwell.
Sunny, who was three and a half years old, was owned by Robert Harlow, Neil and Angie Allan and Paul Routledge. He won the reserve dog CC at the show.
Sunny’s other major wins include winning the group at Southern Counties and group 3 at Birmingham National this year, and group 2 at Driffield last year.
In total he won 14 CCs during his short career. and was the top Australian Shepherd 2014 at the halfway point.
On Sunday Mr Harlow said: "Sunny was given sleep this morning after a valiant battle all week.
"He was given some form of poison yet to be identified at National Working and Pastoral Breeds ch show while on his bench.
"His kennelmate Ch Allmark Broadway Baby has been ill as well all week; she has had full list of tests and at present is doing well.
"As you can imagine we are all devastated, and at present have no words to describe how we feel. I will update everyone as time goes on but please be vigilant with your dogs.”
It is understood that toxicology tests are to be carried out on Sunny.
The society’s show manager Mark Wakeland offered his sympathies to Sunny’s owners.
"As dog people we know how they must feel,” he said. "We had no knowledge of anything having happened until after the show. The dog was not presented to the vet at the show, and we were not aware anything of anything taking place.”